Pages

Saturday, January 19, 2013

Yummy, yummy bone broth

I am the type of girl who loves to eat meat and chicken down to the bone. Like, pick it clean. And then open the bone and eat the marrow inside. :) My husband is not. When we were dating, we went out for chicken wings once (love me some wings) with my younger brother. There was a distinct difference between the wings consumed by me and my brother, which were nothing but the bare bone, and my now-husband's wings. It looked like he took one bite from the center of each wing. He's getting better, but I used to affectionately refer to him as the "wing waster."

But I digress. I saw this yummy-looking recipe for bone broth on the Nom Nom Paleo website here: Slow Cooker Beef Bone Broth I went to Central Market (like Whole Foods) and got soup bones and oxtail. Chopped up some onion, threw in leftover matchstick carrots, bay leaves, 2 tbsp of apple cider vinegar, and enough water to cover it all. The AC vinegar helps extract more minerals from the bones.


I simmered the whole thing for over a day. Once I strained the broth with a mesh strainer, it was liquid gold. And yes, I ate the marrow.



This broth is so nutritious. Maria Emmerich explains it better than I ever could. If the broth was made correctly, it will look like gelatin once it cools. Beef jelly, if you will. The fat layer on top can be skimmed off and you can cook with it! My hubs keeps looking sideways at my beautiful broth and wants no part of it. I managed to sneak some in by simmering canned green beans in the broth. Now to get my toddler to eat it...

No comments:

Post a Comment