Pages

Sunday, January 13, 2013

Starting out...

This morning was my first day cooking for the family. I got up early and started chopping, slicing and prepping for two relatively easy recipes. First up is a breakfast casserole. This recipe is not for the faint of heart. If fat scares you, stay away! This recipe has about 10 eggs, heavy cream, 2 cups of cheese, butter and a pound of sausage. Yum!

I found this one in a low carb forum here. The only tweaks I make is that I use about half an onion, fresh mushrooms, and spicy sausage. One square is about 4 net carbs and 500 calories. I eat it with a little avocado. You know, for added fat.

We had some overnight guests that ate some as well, and I'm not sure they liked it. I forgot to take a picture until after everyone ate a piece. Six squares left so we've got breakfast for a few days.





While my casserole was baking, I started on some crock pot chili. This is my own creation, I guess, meaning I threw in a mish-mash of whatever I found in the fridge:

Almost a pound of stew meat
1 pound 80/20 ground beef
1 onion, chopped
1 jalapeno, chopped
1 cup tomato puree
1.5 cups of roasted tomatillo salsa (homemade)
1 can of Rotel tomato with green chilis
cumin, salt, pepper, garlic powder to taste

I sauteed the onions and jalapeno in a little olive oil, with some cumin and garlic powder. I added in the ground beef, added more spices, and browned the beef. I set that aside and cooked the stew meat with more spices. I threw everything into my vintage crock pot, added the Rotel, a cup of tomato puree I found lingering in the fridge, and poured in some tomatillo salsa. Calorie counts are not exact but I'm estimating that 1.5 cups is about 400 calories and 5 carbs. I just ate some for lunch with sour cream. You know, for added fat.

Here is a pic of the chili simmering happily:


No comments:

Post a Comment